Monday, December 15, 2008

Pay stand: The issue of taking the check


When a restaurant is trying to set itself apart from a fast food place, one of the more important decisions that it must make is whether they want a server to take the check, or whether the patron can take care of this theirselves. This can be a difficult balance to acheive, especially if the restaurant is aspiring to be more laid back than a formal restaurant, but nicer than a fast food palce. I think whenever the restaurant forces the patron to walk somewhere to pay the check, they run the risk of emulating a fast food place.

The three restaurants we investigated each had a unique solution to the end of the meal check, however Chilis was the only one that took care of everything for the customer. I think that since they are portraying an image of a real restaurant with full service servers, it is important for this service to carry all the way through until the end. I also think this is quite successful for the restaurant. I wouldn't change this system at all, because I believe if they set up a casheirs stand somewhere in the space, it wouldn't just take up more of the restaurant space, but it would would add more movement around the restaurant that is not necessary. I think it works well for Chilis to have their patrons specifically sat in the spot that is necessary and only have them move around the restaurant to use the restaurant or leave the building.

In relation, Paradise has their casheir stands set up completely differently. Their main check station is set up at the end of the food line, which is extremely efficient as it works with the movement of the line and is easy to read as to where it should end. I think this is something that is lacking in the Training Table, and needs no improvement in Paradise. The only awkward thing about the Paradise is the cashier stand that is placed directly in front of the entrance. This is mainly used as a back up stand during busy times to serve to-go orders such as coffee or muffins. However, while the location of this stand is in a convenient location and the intention is correct, it can be a bit confusing when its not being used. Upon first entrance it is unclear as to if this is the stand that should be primarily used, or if you should continue on to the regular line. I think it would be effective to either cover up the stand or add a sign with instructions directing the patrons to the line when the satellite stand is not in use. "I was confused the first time I came in here when I saw the small stand near the front entrance ", says Dan Cederlund, a patron " It took me a minute to figure out if I should wait there for something to happen or continue on to the line".

On a completely different level, Training Table also offers a self serve check stand, but the order of usage is different than Paradise. Rather than obtaining one's food and paying all in one shot, Training asks the patron to sit at their table, dial to order on the phone, then get up and pay when their food is ready, only to finally return to the table. I understand that the intention of this process is to have the food obtained at the same time as payment, but as mentioned in earlier patterns I think it would be helpful if this were done either before or after sitting down at the table. The way the Training Table currently has this set up is a little awkward. It felt a little weird to get comfortable at a table, only to have to get up, pay for the food, and carry it back to the table. For one thing, guests are forced to bring most of their party along to help carry food if more than two people are dining. Also, I found it annoying that I was going through the same motions as if I were to order at paradise (obtain my food at pay at the same time), but this was only after getting comfortable at my chosen table. I think it would be more effective for paradise to offer the pay option either before sitting at a table or as the meal is complete. They could add a pay stand near the exit as many restaurants do in order to allow the guest to only have to get up to pay as they are leaving.

No comments: